Friday 2 July 2010

Jesus Walks

How does one answer the question "Hey David, what's your favourite worship song?". I didn't know to break my friend's illusion that to be a Christian means joyously frolicking around the house listening to hours of church music. Or was i meant to be quietly keeping my own scorebook during church? Who knows?

Anyway, i don't remember how i got out of that one, but what i wish i'd said was "Jesus Walks by Kanye West". I probably would have got a blank look, because it's not something that fits the pink box version of church. The film clip has a shot of a man holding a bottle of alcohol - there's a swear word - and "hell" is said twice in one line. (Gasp!)


But if we can be less superficial, there's a tonne of heart in this song that can put a lot of worship music to shame.

For what it says about Jesus
My moma used to say only Jesus could save us

To the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers, even the strippers - Jesus walks with them.

about the human condition
We are at war with terrorism, racism, but most of all we are at war with ourselves.

I don't think there's nothing i can do now to right my wrongs. I wanna talk to God but i'm afraid because we ain't spoke in so long.

searching for God
Now hear ye, hear ye, wanna see thee more clearly
I know he hears me when my feet get weary

God show me the way 'cause the devil's trying to break me down

It's kind of a shame that such rich lyrics and authentic expression are kept away from our delicate church ears.

No comments: