Saturday 12 July 2014

Are we really bible-based?

Pagan Christianity book coverA man wonders about church - as the pastor proclaims the bible for the basis of everything the church does. What does the bible has to do with dressing up? Sitting in an expensive building for an hour a week? Struggling not to yawn, while his kids sit in Sunday school they hate? Good questions.

Personally, I've wondered similar things. I once commented that all church services seem to go sing-pray-money-preach (the order may vary). I was told that's what Jesus said to do. Thinking about it later, I gave us 0 out of 4.

I can't remember Jesus saying to sing (0/1). Both praying and giving Jesus said to do privately (0/3). As for spreading the good news, the bible records Jesus in short dialogues outside the church. We've gone the other way with long monologues inside the church.

So, why does the church stray so far from the Jesus it claims to follow? I guess that will be explored in future chapters. But for now, the poem The Calf Path is a great allegory.

No comments: